I recently backed the Kreyos Smartwatch on Indiegogo (a Kickstarter competitor) and since I already have a Pebble Watch, I thought I’d explain why I wanted this device. If you aren’t familiar with the Kreyos, you can check out the video at the bottom.
- I always knew the Pebble Watch was “version one” of smart watches, and while I enjoy it I am eagerly waiting for companies to start building the next generation of this technology. And while I don’t think the Kreyos is “version two”, I do think its the next evolution and I can’t wait to get my hands on it.
- I’m a technology junkie so let’s be honest, this list is as much me justifying it to myself as anything ;)
- Because it has the capabilities of both my Pebble Watch and my Fitbit One, which I can ebay for well over the cost of the Kreyos once I get it. So my plan is to receive the Kreyos, test it for a few weeks and then sell the Pebble and Fitbit.
- You can talk into it and control it with your voice, which is probably the main drawback of the Pebble.
- It has a lost phone function to help you find your phone. How cool is that?
- It will come with a SDK (software development kit) and it appears they will release that ahead of the watch being shipped (November 2013 I believe) so hopefully there will be apps created ahead of time.
- You can switch it to a BeltClip. This will be extremely useful as I take my Pebble off sometimes when I’m typing because it bangs on the laptop. I also prefer when I exercise not to wear a watch but I always wear my Fitbit, which clips on.
- They promise to have golf apps that help you analyze your swing. That’ll be badass.
- It’s waterproof. The Fitbit One is not waterproof which can be a big limitation during the summertime.
- You can use it independently of your smartphone and then sync it later. This is something that the Fitbit does but the Pebble doesn’t really do as it can’t store information/data remotely. So this means you can go for a run with your Kreyos watch and then sync up the data when you get back to your phone, which is terrific.
- They have a terrific referral and advocacy program which is something I wish more companies would do. So check it out via my referral link!
But really, we’re talking about #2 here and we all know it :)