Ok, I only kinda used Google Plus to write this blog. I wanted to post how much I loved a commercial I saw over the weekend, because I almost never see commercials and when I do, I almost never watch them, so it was such an anomaly that I actually saw a commercial that I liked that I had to blog about it. Plus it has to do with social media. Kinda.
I’m also the guy that can never remember which brand a commercial was for. For example, for a long time I referred to this as “that deoderant commercial”. Which is where Google Plus comes in. Prepare yourself though, this is the least sexy way to use Google Plus.
I wanted to blog about the commercial but couldn’t remember the brand to even look it up on youtube, so I posted on Google Plus this question:
Help: I saw a commercial this weekend where a teenager is at her laptop and she’s talking about how her parents have no “friends” because they only have 19 friends on Facebook, they’re so lame, etc, and meanwhile it’s showing her parents out mountain biking and doing wild stuff with friends while the girl is at the kitchen table at her computer.
Anyone know what brand that was and bonus points for a youtube link to the video?
And thankfully, a few friends came to the rescue: Gresham and Sparno. They both shared the youtube video so alas, you can watch this commercial for…well I already forgot, but its an automotive company and I thought it was great. Video at the bottom of this post.
Regarding Google Plus, I have used the video chat with multiple people and that seems to be the killer feature to me. I LOVE it. I need a way to record those sessions so I can grab some people and do some video roundtable-esque podcast deals.
My early thoughts on Google Plus?
- The circles concept (you can group people into circles) is interesting but it already seems cumbersome. Do I put people in circles based on the company they work for? What if they switch jobs? Do I put them in a category like “social”? What if they start a new profession? Seems like it will quickly become hard to manage.
- Love the ability to have video chat embedded within a social network. But then again, Facebook is doing this now so we’ll see.
- At the moment I find it nice to have less clutter since EVERYONE I’VE EVER MET isn’t on Google Plus yet like they are on my other networks. So I like that for now but that will change. This is where circles could help.
- Waiting for an iPad app. I know, I know.
- Also waiting to see what the API will allow for as I think that will be a major indicator of the ultimate success of this platform.
- Seems hard to send someone a direct message w/o having to email them. Maybe that’s on purpose, not sure. Or maybe I’m missing it.
Love to hear anyone else’s thoughts on Google Plus so far.