I like doing this, reading a title for a story, writing the story from my point before reading it, then comparing where I landed vs. the original.
I saw this headline, 12 Things You Do At Work That Kill The Office Vibe, in Business Insider and before I read it, here is my list of…
9 Things You Do To Kill The Office Vibe
1. Be negative. Mope around, “Woe is me”, that kind of crap. Obvious, but life is too short to do that anyway, and when you do it you kill the vibe for everyone around you.
2. Throw up road blocks. When people are excited about an idea, try to embrace it first and see if you can help figure out how to make it happen. Those that immediately say, “Nope, not possible”, really bum everybody out.
3. Make people silence their music. Or stop playing ping pong. Or stop having a good time…because its too loud. Sometimes that is necessary, but most of the time, if people are having fun at work, you should throw on headphones rather than making your office have a library setting.
4. Argue loudly with your spouse or partner on the phone. That can be so vibe-killing. It’s hard for me to get back to work when I hear you and your husband argue for twenty minutes about why he should, in fact, finally clean out his side of the closet.
5. Come in when you’re sick.
6. Check your phone every two minutes during a meeting. Sometimes people actually want to get things done in a meeting and get everyone on the same page. People that are checking their blackberry all the time show everyone else that there are other things that are more important. And while we’re on the topic of meetings…
7. Don’t have so many friggin meetings! And if you do, don’t have them in conference rooms all the time. More on why meetings suck.
8. Be undependable. I love the visual of a bunch of people rowing a boat, say four on each side, and when one person starts slacking off the boat starts to turn and can’t stay on course. That can be so motivation-killing to the rest of the people on the boat.
9. Bring politics into the workplace. Don’t do it, ever, please :)
What’d I miss?
No related posts.